When Should I Replace My Water Heater?
Why upgrading your water heater can pay off
How do you know when it’s time to replace your water heater? Many homeowners are surprised to learn that hanging on to an old, out-of-date water heater can end up costing – not saving – you money. That’s because today’s modern, energy efficient propane water heaters can help cut your energy expenses significantly.
Read on to learn about “how old is too old?” when it comes to water heaters, and why upgrading to an energy-efficient propane water heater can help you save over electric models.
Why upgrade your water heater? Energy efficiency!
Gone are the days where it makes sense to milk another year, or even another month, from an under-performing older model water heater. An energy-efficient water heater can make a substantial difference in the amount of energy your household uses, since water heating makes up about 20% of your home’s energy costs!
Signs it’s time to replace your water heater
There are several signs to look for to help you decide when it’s time to upgrade your water heater including:
- Is your water heater close to a decade old? Models that are more than 10 years old should especially be monitored for signs of wear and suboptimal performance.
- Wet spots on or near your water heater. Don’t ignore the warning signs that something is amiss with your water heater. The likely reason is a leak in your tank.
- Discolored hot water. If your water heater or the water itself has a funky odor or color, it could mean that your water heater tank is corroding. You’ll want to replace your water heater before a tank failure leads to damage, hassle and added expense.
- Is your current water heater still functioning? Don’t get stuck without a working hot water heater or forced to make hasty replacement decisions under pressure. The best time to replace your water heater is before it breaks. Unfortunately, that point in your water heater’s life often comes as a big surprise – often in the form of a cold shower!
- Your water heater is underperforming. The water gets hot, but not as hot as you’d like, or the water gets hot, but doesn’t stay that way for long. Is there enough hot water for multiple people in your household to shower within a reasonable timeframe?
- You notice buildup on your water heater. Anything “extra” on or inside your water heater tank is a problem, whether it’s condensation, rust, mold or mildew, bubbling or buckling on the surface of the tank, or sediment inside the tank.
Ready for a water heater upgrade? A.C. Howell can help
A.C. Howell can help you add propane appliances, including an energy-efficient propane water heater, to your Orange County, NY home. Not only can a propane water heater provide increased warmth and comfort for your family, it can also help dramatically reduce your energy costs!
Are you ready for dependable propane delivery, responsive and courteous service and expert work by trained, experienced professionals? You get all that when you become a customer with A.C. Howell.